Monday, January 28, 2013

Famous Woman In History Featuring Maya Angelou

January 2013 Post Card Swap Featuring 

Maya Angelou

I belong to a wonderful Ning group called 
It's an inspiring group of ladies from around the world,
 a place to find goddesses, art, poetry, friendships and discussion.

I joined the monthly postcard swap a couple years ago to discover myself and as a way to heal through art. It was during a time in my life when I was home-bound due to my illness. 
Spending many hours at home and in bed left me longing for a sense of community and purpose.
I was very depressed, sad, and lonely; I'd spend most of my sleepless nights scavenging the net
for inspiration, friendship and a sense of belonging. I found it in an art chat room.

I had met Carol and a few of the other ladies in an on line art class called Art Heart and Healing
It was a free on line class which I used as a form of therapy.
There I was inspired to dig deep into my creative self and learn new techniques I never knew existed,
all the while of healing through the process of art.
 
The woman I've met in both of these Ning groups are filled with love, compassion and inspiration. 
Carol, our fearless hostess of the postcard swap shakes our world with a new topic every month.
We are encouraged to interpret each artist as we like, utilizing any medium to express our take on each topic.

I view each month as challenges to help me find my creative style and grow as an artist.
Each challenge teaches me new techniques as I learn about the featured artist.
Last year, the theme was famous artist. Each having a wide array of styles, most were new to me,
like: Di Grazia, Basquiat, Amedeo Modiglian and Freda.
Carol has opened my eyes and creative world. 
inspiring me to learned more about myself as an artist and refined my techniques as a result.

Each month a new topic is announced, I research and learn everything I can about it. It helps me to learn how they created their particular technique, form and style.
Some are more challenging then others, some take me several days to complete, some I whip off in no time; Each push my boundaries and are unique in their own way, becoming near and dear to my heart. 
Joining There's A Little Goddess In All Of Us  has been a true blessing.
Every month I receive little treasures in the mail from all walks of life, I call these fun mail. 
Is there anything more exciting  then receiving a handmade postcard from other artistes around the world... 
I think not! It makes opening the mail fun again...

Here is my take on our January's  "Famous Woman" postcard swap, 
I hope you'll find as much inspirations in my creations as I did in Maya's life's work.

 I decided to do a multimedia collage for 3 of my cards and a drawing for the last one.
For the 3 collage cards, I used magazines cuttings, watercolor paints, 
markers, napkins, and quotes from Maya Angelou.

I always like to draw the featured artist as my tribute to them. 
I used an ultra-fine Sharpe pen and markers.

Come check us out, I'm sure you'll enjoy our group as much as I do...
Until next time....love, hugs and many blessings to each of you!
XOXOXOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment